You’ve just received a pair of wireless headphones from a friend or a loved one. But the problem is you’ve never used one, as you have always been a wired headphones guy. Don’t worry—this article will teach you how to use wireless headphones.
Wireless headphones don’t need any cable, cord, or wire. As such, you don’t have to be restricted in your movement. You can listen to your favourite music even if the media player is in the other room.
Wireless headphones are also very versatile. You can connect them to various devices, from smartphones, TV, gaming consoles, computers, and other electronic devices with IR or Bluetooth functionalities. In fact, Bluetooth headphones let you connect to multiple devices simultaneously.
Connecting a wireless headphone is relatively easy. However, the instructions differ depending on the device.
Connecting to a Smart TV
Smart TVs are equipped with wireless connection technology. This simply means that connecting your wireless headphones to a smart TV is quick and easy.
To connect your wireless headphone to a smart TV, follow these steps:
- Turn on the TV.
- Using the remote control, look for the Accessory or Settings menu.
- Open the Bluetooth options.
- Set to Pair mode.
- Turn on your headphones.
- Set your headphones to Pair mode. Usually, this can be accessed by pressing a connection button located on the headphones.
- Once the Pairing mode has been activated, you will find your headphones listed or shown on your TV’s display.
- Choose the headphones using your TV’s remote control to complete the process.
Once you have paired your headphones with your smart TV, the two electronic devices will automatically connect to each other when they are both powered on.
If your TV doesn’t have Bluetooth functionality, you can use a Bluetooth dongle instead. This device is usually inserted into a USB port of the TV, and gives the latter a Bluetooth function.
Connecting to a PC
Similar to connecting wireless headphones to a TV, it is also easy to connect wireless headphones to a PC.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Turn on the headphone.
- Set it to “Pair” mode. This usually involves pressing the connect button until a LED light starts to flash.
- Then click “Start” button on your PC.
- Enter the word “Bluetooth” in the search box.
- Click “Add Bluetooth device.”
- This launches the Add a Device dialog box.
- Click on the name of your headphone in the dialog box, then click the “Next” button. This would start the automated pairing process.
- You will see a prompt telling your wireless headset has been paired with your PC. Click the “Close” button to continue.
Connecting to the iPhone
- Look for the “Settings” function on your iPhone. This is usually found on the home screen.
- Open and click on the “General” button.
- Press the “Bluetooth” button. Slide it over to activate the Bluetooth function.
- Your iPhone will look for nearby devices that are Bluetooth-capable.
- Once you see the name of your wireless headphone, hit the “Pair” button so that your devices will be in sync with each other.
- Your iPhone may ask you to enter a four digit password. This is provided by your wireless headphone.
- Enter the password, then hit connect to complete the set up.
This is also the same set-up or process that you can follow to use your wireless headphones with an iPod.
Connecting to an Xbox 360
To connect your wireless headphones to an Xbox 360, follow these steps:
- Connect to Xbox Live.
- Plug the wireless headphone into the Xbox console to install its driver.
- Press the power button for 2-3 seconds until the console’s light indicator turns green.
- You’ll hear a start-up sound. Upon hearing that, press the connect button of your wireless headphone for two seconds.
- Once you have released the said button, press the connect button on the Xbox for 20 seconds.
- You’ll see the green lights flashing three times, indicating that the ‘pairing’ was a success.
Connecting to a PS3 console
Like in Xbox, you can use a wireless headphone to connect to a PS3 gaming console. However, you have to register the headphones first through its Bluetooth settings.
You can do so by following these steps:
- Go to the XMB home menu.
- Choose “Settings” icon.
- Select “Accessory Settings” icon, and look for the “Manage Bluetooth Devices” option.
- If the wireless headphone is not yet registered on the console, you’ll be prompted by this question: “The Bluetooth device has not been registered. Do you want to register?”
- Highlight the “Yes” option, then click the “X” button on the controller.
- Your wireless headphone will show up on the screen if the pairing was successful.
It’s now time to pair your wireless headphone to your PS3. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click on “Start Scanning” on the screen by pressing the “X” button.
- Check that your headphones are in “Pair” mode so that the gaming console will recognize and pair with the device.
- You’ll know that the PS3 has recognized the device when the name of the headphone is shown on the screen.
- Hit the “X’ button to continue.
- You will have to enter the security code provided with the wireless headphone.
- Once you have entered the right code, a message will prompt you that the device has been paired with the PS3.
- Go back to the “Accessory” settings menu, and look for the “Audio Device Settings.”
- Choose “Input Device” option.
- Find the right microphone input corresponding with your headphone. Click “X” button.
- Go to the “Output Device” option and select your wireless headphones.
You can now use your wireless headphones in playing your favorite games on the PS3 gaming console.
As you can see, connecting your wireless headphones to various electronic devices is quite a breeze.